Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's not as Easy as it Looks

Happy Father's Day

This morning I grabbed my Coaches cap and joined three brave souls at Manzanita Bay.  We headed out at 11:12am and swam eighteen minutes, with two brief stops to check in on one another.  One swimmer was out for the first time this season and I was able to do some one on one coaching with her while I paddled the surfboard.  The advantage of being on the board versus the kayak is being on the water ~  eye level with  the swimmer, it is easier to talk with the swimmer and control the craft.  Also, the swimmer may join me on the board or drape over the board for a rest.

As we returned to our launching spot the water made our journey very interesting.  The swells that came up with the incoming tide were FUN, as the rolling motion of the water is soothing, although the current made the paddle/swim very challenging.

Having a safety tube is a good thing to have ... sometimes folks just get pooped, disorientated or panic.  No problem, just clip the tube around your middle, roll over on your back and relax.  As I paddle you just relax and gently kick.

"Sweet ... there's the beach" I say.  "Ready to take that tube off and swim in?"  "Sure!" says the rested and confident swimmer.

Thank you for the joy you bring when we are on the water together!

No comments:

Post a Comment